UNIT 9 : IT LOOKS GREAT ! - SMP Negeri 3 Jabung

Breaking

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

UNIT 9 : IT LOOKS GREAT !

Section One

Activity 1

a. With a friend, read the riddle below carefully.

Fill in the blank spaces.

Who am I?

I am green. I live in a pond. I eat mosquitoes.

I jump high. I have four legs.

You are a …………………….

I am an animal. I am black and white.

I am fat. I live in North Pole.

You are a …………………….

I am an animal.

I am the king of the jungle.

You are a ……………………

I am an animal. I am black and white.

I look like a stripy horse.

You are a ……………..



b. Check what each animal has. Talk about the chart with your

friend. Make a simple sentence to describe each animal


Little

Legs

Short

Neck

Big

Ears

Long

Nose

Long

Tail


Lion


Elephant


Monkey


Giraffe


1. ……………………………………………………………………………………………….

2. ……………………………………………………………………………………………….

3. ……………………………………………………………………………………………….

4. ……………………………………………………………………………………………….



Activity 2



a. The pronoun in each sentence pair is bold typed. Choose the letter a, b, or

c that gives the correct noun it replaces.

1. Lions and tigers live in the jungle. They are wild animals.

a. lions b. tigers c. lions and tigers

2. I have a pet at home. It is a cat.

a. I b. a pet c. home

3. My cat and I sleep together on my bed. We wake up early in the morning.

a. My cat and I b. My cats c. My family

b. Write the letter of the correct pronoun for each blank.

1. Monkeys like bananas. ….. don’t like meat

a. they b. them

2. My family loves Bombi very much. It is a loyal cat. It always waits for …… near the front door.

a. us b. we

3. He looks very sad to leave …. alone.

a. she b. her







Vocabulary Building



Activity 3

Match the words with their meanings.

A. School



a. classmate _____ special clothes you wear
b. principal ____ a person who helps you in the library
c. uniform ____ time-table
d. schedule ____ a student who is in the same class as you

e. librarian _____ a head of a school




What are the Indonesian words for these?

Look up the words in the dictionary.

B. Canteen

a. snacks = ……………………………………………..

b. soft drink = ……………………………………………..

c. food seller = ……………………………………………..

d. meat ball = ……………………………………………..

e. fried chicken = ……………………………………………..



Grammar Focus

Object pronouns

Singular Examples

I - me It makes me cry.

You - you I love you very much.
He - him She gives him much money.
She - her He borrows a book from her.
It - it I don’t like it.
Plural

We - us He always laughs at us.

You - you I always wait for you all.

They – them There are many victims. The people help them.


Activity 4

The object pronoun is singular or plural.

a. My parents sometimes get angry with me.

b. Children are sometimes naughty, but their parents still love

them.

c. I can’t reach the top it.

d. Don’t disturb us.

e. I will invite her.



Activity 5

a. Change the following nouns into pronouns

Example:

Erlang gets a new book from his father every month.

Erlang gets it from his father every month.
The boys swim in the swimming-pool every week.
Johanes is a Christian. He goes to church
Ali is a Moslem. He goes to the mosque.
La Rose is a famous writer. She writes books.
My mother is a diligent person.





b. Copy each underlined noun. Tell whether it is in the subject

or object

Example:

They were almost done. (subject)

People like it very much. (object)

1. He loves her very much.

2. She cooks rice every day.

3. I like to study English.

4. She sends me cakes once a week.

5. They play football every Sunday.

6. He gives them drink.

7. We fight for freedom.

8. She makes us happy.







Grammar Focus




































Activity 6



a. Find two pictures of famous people, cut and paste them here.




Write some sentences about them.









b. Complete the sentences below with these words.




She’s it’s are he’s am

‘re not is



1. Are you David?

2. ______ my sister.

3. Are you Anggi? No, I’m ______

4. You _______ Merry, aren’t you?

5. Are you Luke? Yes, I ________

6. Where’s Raynor? ________ in the car.

7. Hello! My name ________ Dea?

8. ________ great to be here.

Possessive verb: has/have










Activity 7



a. Complete the sentences below with these words.






She has We have It has They have no She hasn’t He has



1. The cat is cute. _________ a long tail.

2. Edsar is a student. __________ some books.

3. The people are poor. __________ houses.

4. Maharani is rich. __________ much money.

5. Nida and I like drawing. ___________ some colour pencils.

6. The woman is poor. ___________ anything.

b. In turn, ask your friend questions what he/she has at home.

Respond to your friend’s questions.



Example :



A: Do you have a cat?

B: No, I don’t.

A: Do you have a bike?

B: Yes, I do.



Section Two



Activity 1

Nida describes her close friend, Dea.

The teacher will read Dea’s description aloud.

Listen and answer the questions orally.

Dea



Dea is a very good and helpful student.

She is in Year Seven at Mondial Lower Secondary School. Her teacher is very proud of her

because she is very good at Mathematics, English and Science. Her friends often ask for

her helps to solve math problems. All her friends and teachers like her.

Now she is thirteen years old. She is tall. Her hair is long. She is not fat.

She is diligent and kind. She is also very helpful to her friends.

She likes reading stories, cycling and playing badminton.

Answer these questions.


What kind of student is Dea?
What school does she go?
What subjects is she good at?
Do her friends like her?
How old is Dea?
How does she look?

These questions help you answer how Dea looks:

· What colour is her hair?

· Is her hair long?

· Is she fat?
Is she tall?



You use adjectives when you describe someone or something.
Underline all the adjectives in the text. Then write them down.

______________ ______________ _____________ _____________

______________ ______________ _____________ _____________

These questions help you describe behaviour.
Is she kind?
Is she diligent?
Is she helpful?





8. Underline all the being/having verbs in the text above.

Then write them down here.

___________ ____________ ___________

You describe something using adjectives.

9. Circle all the adjectives in the text above.

Then, write them down here.

__________ __________ __________ _________ ________

__________ __________ __________ _________ ________

10. You may describe a thing, person, or place using a noun phrase, such as my playful black cat anda long tail.










Activity 3



Read the text carefully.

Vanessa-Mae



Vanessa-Mae Vanakorn Nicholson is a famous musician.

She is only sixteen years old, but she is a world-famous violinist.

When she plays classical violin concertos on her electric violin, the world listens.

Vanessa-Mae is Thai-Chinese. Her mother is Chinese and her natural father is Thai.

She is from Singapore, but she now lives in London with her mother and her English stepfather. S

he’s got cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents in Thailand, Singapore, China, and England.

(Adopted form Snapshot, Starter page 46)



Answer the questions below.

1. Who is Vanessa-Mae?

2. What musical instrument does she play?

3. Is she famous?

4. Does she live with her natural father?

5. Where does her mother live now?

6. Which part of the text is Identification?

7. Which part of the text is Description?

In a description text you use a lot of being/having verbs.

8. Underline all the being/having verbs in the text. Then, write them down

_____________ ______________ ______________ _____________

_____________ ______________ ______________ _____________




Grammar Focus



Simple Present Tense


Present Perfect Tense


He She

It

has got a new motorcycle.


I

We

They

You

Have got a new motorcycle






Activity 4

a. Write sentences using the correct form of the verb like.

Examples:

you/chocolate (?)

Do you like chocolate?

She/London (X)

She doesn’t like London.

The children/chocolate/ (V)

The children like chocolate

1. She/chocolate/ (X)

2. I/cold tea/(X)

3. She/her English teacher/a lot/ (V)

4. They/swimming/(X)

5. Tini/Tono/(?)

6. You/sweet-tea/(?)

7. We/sport/(V)

8. He/cheating/(X)

b. Choose the correct word in each sentence.

Examples: What sort of car have/has she got?

1. I haven’t/hasn’t got a bike.

2. Have/has you got a pen?

3. We hasn’t/haven’t got any brothers or sisters.

4. Rini has/have got long hair.

5. Who/is/has got Tono’s pencil?

6. He haven’t/hasn’t got a girlfriend.

7. Have/has you got a good mark?
Section Three





Activity 1

Complete the following text by using words in the box. Do this in pairs.



Students home parents engineer

Morning play family favourite



Justin Gleeson is a dancer. He’s 16 and he’s a

student at the Liverpool School of Music and

Dance. He isn’t from Liverpool. His …1… is

in London.

The ..2…. have dance lessons in the

afternoon, but in the ….3…. they must do

other school subjects. Justin’s …..4…. subjects

are Science, French, and Music. He can’t sing,

but he can ….5…. the guitar.

Justin has got a brother and a sister, but he is

the only dancer in the …6….. His brother is

an ….7…. and his sister is a doctor. His

…..8….. are both teachers.




Activity 2

Make your own text together with your friend next to you.

Describe her or their appearance and habits.

1). Britney Spears




2). Sheila on 7

Section Four





Activity 1

Describe one of the following noun phrases in five sentences. Consult your teacher.

1. My close friend

2. My favorite teacher

3. My pet

4. My School










Activity 2
Constructing a short functional text.
Write a short invitation for your own birthday. Consult your

teacher.






Find the names of these singers

and groups in the square

Elton John The Police Dire Straits

The Beatles The Rolling Stones Queen

Madonna Bob Dylan ABBA

Status Quo George Michael Phill Collins

Genesis Diana Ross Sting

ZZ Top Rod Stewart Cher

Eric Clapton Gloria Estefan




Q

E

R

I

C

C

F

L

E

C

F

C

O

K

O

M

A

C


T

U

F

L

G

L

O

R

I

A

F

G

H

F

D

D

F

A


X

H

E

M

A

D

O

N

N

A

P

D

F

G

D

C

V

S


T

H

E

R

O

L

L

I

N

G

S

D

G

F

G

F

F

A


O

E

A

B

B

W

S

D

I

A

V

S

F

R

H

F

R

S


P

G

L

O

E

S

T

D

I

R

S

A

T

T

B

G

T

D


R

E

E

B

X

A

A

B

T

H

E

X

H

O

J

K

Y

F


Q

O

S

D

B

F

T

P

H

E

T

Z

E

I

K

I

U

G


U

R

L

Y

O

A

U

L

E

N

H

C

P

U

Y

H

I

H


O

G

E

L

B

C

S

U

E

E

N

F

O

H

T

O

O

J


E

E

V

A

G

H

Q

E

M

S

M

J

L

S

R

P

O

K


S

M

S

N

M

O

U

C

U

S

F

K

I

A

H

K

P

L


D

I

A

N

A

R

O

S

S

R

S

S

C

X

O

L

L

Z


T

C

D

S

T

E

P

W

I

L

E

J

E

Z

L

D

K

X


P

H

I

L

C

O

L

L

I

N

Q

H

T

V

K

E

J

C


Z

A

R

Q

T

A

V

H

E

B

Z

M

U

W

J

W

H

V


Z

E

E

Z

E

L

O

G

C

R

C

N

J

E

H

E

G

B


X

L

Z

B

F

M

E

L

O

L

X

B

D

D

O

X

G

N